Wednesday, May 13, 2015

Indiana Trail 100

Are you ready? Everyone kept asking me that.... "are you ready?" I hated to say it, but I had no clue if I was ready. How do you really know if you're ready for 100 miles when it's your first go at it. I mean, my legs felt great, I was hitting all my training workouts, and mentally I see myself as pretty tough, but was I ready to run 100 miles? I didn't fully know if I was ready, but I was surely going to give it my all. Here's part 1 of my mini series of posts on my first hundred mile endurance event.

So when I'm uncertain about things, I like to prepare, prepare, and prepare some more. I was focused on my crew, my supplies, and my game plan.


The months leading up to the event, I felt out my support and planned for the crew (People that would be willing to devote an entire day + to the cause). All of my training was prepared by my running coach, Michele Yates. Her training plan is different than what I had done for past ultras but I trust her approach and I think it was the best thing for me, especially with my January setback*. But I knew I wanted to have a crew with me to monitor my progress and keep me on track with my plan along the way.

My mom was holding down the position of crew captain. She was ready to document all my nutrition, health needs throughout the event. Her organization and nursing skills were a huge advantage! My oldest sister, Jamie, brother-in law, Bill, and husband, Steve, paced for the event. But there were several others that were willing to jump in and run if needed. I was so fortunate to have a huge support crew that showed up to the event and parade around the course to make the day extra special for me! My Dad, Ralph, Alice, Taylor, Kellen, Kyle, Jessica, Ashley, and Andrew...... wow! I feel loved.

With the crew set, the next step to my pre-race process was drop bags. The course was set up with 6 loops and access to drop bags in 2 places. So my plan was to bag out each loop. Then I could easily grab the portioned bag of supplies and keep moving until the next aid station/drop bag location. I wanted my aid stations to be seamless so being prepped was key. 


All organized and ready to go


Best friend, Mallory
helped pack my loop bags!
Love her support!


With bags packed and crew ready, the last pre-race details were packet pick-up and a good night's sleep! My mom and I traveled to Albion, Indiana Friday, April 24.



Trip was easy and we quickly made it to the Chain O'Lakes state park and Indiana Trail 100 packet pick up. Pick up was so easy and organized. (this isn't their first rodeo) The volunteers were friendly and the feeling was just relaxed and easy. I started to get nerves because everyone else looked like real runners! I tried to just be me and fully enjoy each moment. After grabbing my packet, which included fun gear, I got to meet up with my running coach and a few other rugged runners! Then it was off to dinner and the hotel.

Michele reminded me of the importance of taking time to reflect on my goals and to go into the race with that in mind. This was a great tip and as I relaxed before falling asleep I reflected on why this race was important for me: to work hard even when things get tough, to dream big, and do more than what I originally imagined I could do. If I can dream big, others can too.


I hope my race prep has interested you enough to stay tuned for my story of the race day and rainy loops, running (or walking) in the dark, and getting that beautiful belt buckle.


 

 
 ******* big shout out to my sister Erin and nephew Jaelon for taking care of my dogs over the weekend. They weren't at the race but their support was felt knowing my precious pupcakes were taken care of.******
*A little back story on my training leading up to the event. I also ride horses and took a spill in January. The result was not ideal: fractured fibular head and tibia. My running coach said, no problem. We can work through an injury. All athletes have them, the great ones handle them well. I trusted her advice and never looked back.


Before we left, my teaching assistant
asked me to stop by the school for a min.
They had prepared a good luck t-shirt!
 I was so touched reading all the messages/names
 from my students and colleagues.

No comments:

Post a Comment