Sunday, February 23, 2014

Gear Check

Runners have varying philosophies on gear from high-tech to low key. Everyone has his/her own personal style. While gear may seem like a silly topic, stick with me for a bit.

If you see me out on a typical run this is probably what will stand out: smile, tall socks, and a braid. I'm not super flashy and I don't really pay much attention to my running gear. (so why devote the whole post?)

I've learned a few things over the past few years running. The biggest thing to running happy for me is to keep my feet happy. If I can keep those bad boys feeling great I can run on for miles. I'm not a big spender and shopping is definitely not my thing. But I will justify the $$ on good shoes. Sure it's great to match and coordinate a spiffy outfit but as long as I've got my shoes I'm good to go.
 
I have a saying I often use with my students and it continues to drift into my everyday life: "Set yourself up for success." To me, this means take care of the things I can control to give myself the best chances to be successful in my endeavour.

I like to set my gear out the night before a long run. It helps me focus some intention on the morning work. And let's face it... having things set out gives me a few more moments with my pillow before the day starts.  

I used to worry that I'd show up to a run with others and I wouldn't fit in. I wasn't as high-tech or dressed in the latest running fashions. This fear would cause me to doubt my running and my ability to connect with others. It would even keep me from going to some runs. I would sabotage myself with worrying about something as silly as gear!

So, my point is... gear is YOUR gear. Find what works for you and stick with it.

Beyond the running life, find what "gear" you need to make your experiences successful and your own.

I hope when people think back on me as a runner (and beyond) their memories won't be of my tall socks and mix-matched shorts/top but will be the "gear" of my kind spirit, connected conversation, and enjoyable miles together.
 
The gear of the soul..... is better than any brand, gadget, and high-tech toy.

No comments:

Post a Comment