Wednesday, March 12, 2014

The Change Up

Have you ever had the feeling that something is just not working..... drained by the everyday routine.... maybe it's time for a change up.

I love to run... I run almost every day, but lately I haven't felt like I'm seeing the major improvements I'd like as I'm training for my next 50 mile race. When the improvements are so minor it is easy for me to get frustrated and question my training and journey.

Does this mean I give up and quit running... nope, not at all. I can stop, evaluate, adjust, and make things enjoyable for the long run. More cross training, weights, tempos, and speedwork?

One day last week, I decided to grab my swim cap and goggles and headed to the pool instead of the run. This switch in training activity gave me renewed energy. It was quiet and calm. I'm not an amazing swimmer by any means, but I smiled throughout my workout and felt right where I needed to be.

And you know what... my weekend runs following the change up were incredibly enjoyable. I've continued to switch out some of my regular workouts with pool time. I am still in training for the upcoming race and think I'll always over analyze my training and if I'll meet/surpass my goals. However, changing things up a bit have kept me from simply trying to "make it work" with the miles.

Running is my sanity and I can't help but transfer my running victories and lessons learned into my life. With so much time on the track,tread,trail, or road I get to do a lot of reflecting. I had a chat with my parents the other night and I was given some great insight. And amazingly very similar ideas about the "change up" became clear outside of my running shoes.

What I'm doing right now may be enough to satisfy others, but am I living to MY potential... to fulfill my destiny? Is the struggle to "make it work" giving back the energy to live life to the fullest?
If I want to experience all life has to offer I have to do what's best for me and that may be a life change-up. Why stay in a place because it's what I'm used to or to please others. Wow... looks like I need a few long runs to sort through all my thoughts! :)

 How about you:  do you question your placement, career, workout routine or hobbies... are you struggling to make it work?  Maybe the "change up" is exactly what you need too!

Smile on,
Jeni

No comments:

Post a Comment