Friday, March 31, 2017

Race Recap: Paleozoic 50K

Oh man..... what a fun, challenging 50k this was! Paleozoic events are always a blast and this year's Carboniferous Spring wasn't any different.

So let me just say, I'm a rain MAGNET. Don't believe, guess how many ultras I've ran without rain .... ONE! So when I saw rain in the forcast I wasn't that surprised. And when I woke up Saturday morning and it was already raining, I just threw on my rain jacket & Rugged Running trucker hat and smiled. What else can ya do?!

Steven and I drove the 30 minutes out to the race site in Palos Park, IL. We got there around 7:45am (45 minutes to go-time). Quick packet-pickup and back to the car to stay warm and dry.

As it got closer to the 8:30 start-time, many runners were huddled under the start/finish line pavilion to keep out of the rain for just a few minutes longer. Bill Thom, RD extraordinare, gave the pre-race instructions and then it was just a short wait until his wife and co-RD, Michelle, blasted the horn to signal the start of the race.

A group of about 100 runners took off on the signature "parade route" near the start finish line and then turned out to the trail. This race consisted of 2 out-and-back laps on the Cook County Forrest Preserve trails (yellow, purple, and green trails).


It was in the 40s and rainy most of the first loop. I was running pretty steady but knew my pace was slower than that all elusive sub-6 50k (Yes... sub-6 is my goal and one day I'll get it). The trail was in pretty decent shape but knew there would be the "unavoidable puddle" from Bill's pre-race instructions. Now I've ran this course before and yes... that puddle is intense! If you want to see that year's puddle, check out my previous post here.


The trail was nice wide horse trails, ups and downs, mud, and puddles. It was well marked and easy to follow, which makes focussing on running a breeze. The way out to the turn-around was pretty uneventfull and I got there in about 1.5 hours. Well, it was raining pretty good on the way out to the turn-around but it was kind of exciting. And we were all already soaked. Since it was an out-and-back, the closer you got to the turnaround, the more you saw the people infront of you on their way back. I must say, trail runners.... and ultra runners in particular are awesome! I can't tell you how many times I got a "looking good" or "nice work". Exchanging encouragement along the way is a part of why I love this community of runners. Even though some are very competitive, we're all out there in the mud/rain/mess together.

coming into the turn-around aid station


(Enough emotions... back to the race) Steve was there to check in and provide any extra fuel. I grabbed a salt tab and a quick drink of mountain dew and took off back to the start/finish. Muddy green trail with sneaky hills, yellow with the growing rivers, short purple with the big uphill, 2 more miles on the yellow to get back to the start/finish and that FABULOUS parade route (Side note: every Paleo event has a nice loop around the start/finish line area and it makes you feel so close yet so far from being done).

I was feeling pretty tired getting back to the start/finish and a few runners passed me in the last bit before the start/finish. I will say one of my strengths is a quick aid station stop. Just enough time to fill the water bottles, grab a gel and protein bar from Steve and head back out. No fun ultra snacks, no time to chat. This helps! Boy does this help...

Just one more out and back.... I was having a blast. I know I was cheezing pretty hard and just playing in the rain. I knew I wasn't being super competitive with myself but I wasn't upset with that. (Small secret: I tend to put a ton of pressure on myself and often feel like if I don't do well I'm dissappointing those who love me. I know this sounds crazy but maybe it's something you can relate to as well.) So the fact that I was just enjoying the run was AMAZING! And I was feeling pretty good too.


Second loop had "rivers" to run.
Muddy hill.
The rain stopped for the second lap, but the damage had already been done. There would be muddy trails then big puddles. I actually like the puddles because it cleaned the mud off my shoes! The run out to the turn around felt a little more daunting the second time around, but I was still moving pretty well. I told myself I could use my camara to grab some pictures in the part that I couldn't run or on an uphill or two, otherwise I needed to push. I saw Steve at the turnaround aid station, grabbed another salt tab and mountain dew. Thanked Tom and Patti (aid station volunteers) for spending their entire day in the rain supporting us and headed back. Only 7.5 miles to go :)




Muddy, happy finish line shot.
The last 7.5 miles I kept the mantra "someone behind you will run this section" when I wanted to walk. I wasn't hurting but I was definitely tired. The mud and rain had gotten to me and I was ready to be done but felt so far away. Green to Yellow to Purple to Yellow. Once I got to the start finish line there was the freaking Parade Route.... muddy grass! I think that was the only time I got negative and shouted "this part is the worst!" while still smiling.

Did Not Fossilize :)


I was so happy to finish and was ok with my time of 6:28:50. Hey.... it might not be a 50k PR but it was a course PR on the Paleozoic South Course, another medal for my running buddy, Lucy! I'll take it.

Fuel consumed during race:
1 Gu Salted Caramel Gel
1 Gu Chocolate Outrage Gel
1 Cliff Protein Bar
Water and Salt Tabs
1 Green Apple Jolly Rancher
Mountain Dew



#RR gear for the day


Thanks to Michele Yates and Rugged Running for the support and awesome training plan. After the run I showered and went on a date night in HEELS! With the way I train now, my recovery is so quick it's amazing.


Oh and even with running in the rain for 6+ hours, I didn't get a single blister. Thank you Paleozoic Trail Runs for helping me run happy!

No comments:

Post a Comment