Sunday, April 24, 2016

Running 100.... final preparations

Preparing for most things takes planning, drive, and follow-through. This is true with races of any distance. This is VERY true with races of longer distances. I have been preparing for a goal race for months now and in less than a week it will be time to toe the line (At Indiana Trail 100. Get more info @ http://www.indianatrail100.com/)  and give it my best go.

For months I have been following a set training plan including interval workouts, hill repeats, tempo runs, trail runs, strength training, and recovery techniques. ( Thanks, Michele!) It has meant a lot more solo runs and early weekend mornings but it will be worth it.

I've been working on pushing past my limits.... past that place where I know I won't fail. It's tough.... a constant challenge. And each time I run long, it's another chance to conquer my fears.

To give you a little insight into my world of ultras I would like to share with you the prep side leading up to the big day. No longer talking about the training aspect, but the actual coordination of getting through 100 miles. It takes a team effort.

Some of the dedicated crew from last IT100
Enter.... my crew! I have some amazing family and friends that are willing to put up with being with me (and when I say with I mean that they are in the same park as I am somewhere a distance off in the woods to see me for 3 minutes every few hours or so) for 30 hours or so to help me complete a race. Now I've spectated/volunteered at a lot of races and I've heard people grumble about waiting around for runners at a 5K! And ultra crew members are out in the elements for hours.... waiting.... and you'd never be able to tell it was someone else's goal they were working towards at all. They are the lifeblood at these things. They are set with the hard task of helping runners be successful. They think, when the runners can't (Ultra Brain at 3 am: how much fuel do I need? Where are my extra batteries for the headlamp? etc.).

My awesome Mom is my crew captain. This is her second year at the job and I wouldn't have it any other way. She is just amazing.... positive..... and knows exactly how to track/monitor my needs. She tracks everything on a spreadsheet and could tell you exactly how much I've had to eat, drink, and if I'm going to the bathroom (yes, you should be on top of that stat too! ). She has met with me leading up to the race to talk strategy and go over spreadsheets. She ROCKS!


Running happy with my pacer
Then come the pacers. Not only are they part of the crew that stands around waiting.... they also get the fun job of running the course with me in the dark and when I'm probably contemplating why I started this thing in the first place! No seriously, pacers are so much fun because they come in when your brain is done being alone. I've asked them to come prepared with tunes, stories, and my time goals. They can push and encourage and help keep me moving. IT100 allows pacers after 50 miles, which is awesome! I will especially need someone with me during the night. It can get spooky in the woods at night so it's nice to have another person out there with you. It's also just nice having someone to share the experience with. Now don't get me wrong, I love my alone time in the woods, but after 12+ hours.... company is refreshing!

The final aspect I'll chat about today is how I actually prep my gear. I love lists and being organized so this part of the prep is fun for me. This particular race is a looped course. So this helps in prepping. There are 2 places for drop bags that I can pack and have waiting for me at aid stations. Now even though I have a crew, I still prepare drop bags to be as self-sufficient as possible. I prep out bags per loop with the fuel I will need each loop. This helps when I come into the aid station, grab the fuel bag and pass my garbage to my crew as my mom is checking in and marking down the needed info on her spreadsheets. I won't go into all that I pack in my fuel bags..... if you want to know, just ask!
Organized gear is a must!

Along with fuel bags, I also prep extra clothes, gear, first aid kit, etc. What I have learned from last year is that along with my gear.... it's nice to pack extra things for your crew. They are giving the gift of time away from their own responsibilities to help. This year I'm fully packed with gear and snacks that can be at their disposal as well.

Planning calms my nerves. Planning helps me to be more flexible.
Planning helps me set my team up to be successful. I'm sure something will go amiss come race day.... but that's how life works. And when that happens.... I'll smile, adjust my plans and keep moving.


**** Do you have other tips on how you prep for a big event or race? I'd love to hear your thoughts, too!****



No comments:

Post a Comment